Thursday, October 22, 2009

Unexpected Surprise


Tristan, my travel buddy and I were seated in the local bus impatiently waiting to escape the beautiful city of Amritsar in Punjab. The only reason we were there was to visit the  Golden Temple. True enough, the amazing piece of architecture was no let down. Some even say it breathes more life than the over-visited Taj Mahal.


However, the town was just plain filthy and the hotel we stayed in was damp and infused with a funky stench. I would normally look forward to a cool and refreshing shower after spending an entire day out. But this time, the water was no beckon of comfort for the weary soul. Instead, it only left us with a sticky residue  and odour that only made me wish I had bathed in my own sweat.

Back in the bus...

The sweltering heat was beyond comprehension. I fish out my towel (already saturated with sweat) and attempt to wipe my dripping forehead. Tristan exclaims, "But you're from Malaysia!". I reply, almost apologetically, "Ummm...yeah I know. I just have big pores."

A man clad in a long-sleeved shirt and grey pants comes up on the stationary bus. He has a wooden box (like a toolbox) slung across his neck. He hollers something in Hindi and glances from left to right to see if there are any takers. A boy sitting diagonally behind me raises his hand and calls out to the 'Toolbox' peddler. 'Toolbox Peddler' opens the box and with a knife-like contraption, starts scraping and carving a white block. He pulls out a piece of leaf and swiftly places the scrapings on it and hands it to the boy. Tristan and I look on curiously. "What do you think it is, Tristan?", I ask. Tristan looks puzzled and guesses, "I think maybe cheese...it smells like cheese." 


'Toolbox Peddler' smiles at me and without a word carves a piece and places it on the leaf. He nods and puts the sample on my hand and urges me to taste it. I take it suspiciously and ask Tristan if he wants to try it. The boy behind looks at us in amusement and tries to promote the 'cheese'. "It's good. It's good!" he proclaims.

Tristan turns down my offer. I decide to go for it. I close my eyes and take a small bite...

Woo Hoo!!! Party in my mouth! Ice Cream!!! This homemade concoction was a sweet explosion of milk, cardamom and raisins complemented with the aroma of crunchy almonds. Creamy, refreshing treat in the unforgiving Indian heat. Yes, may I have one please!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger meishean said...

Amazing! Who would have thought ice cream came in slices. Looks suspiciously like roti canai at a glance...

November 5, 2009 at 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home