Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Fast & Fluid

For a long time I had suffered the dilemma of bringing in other cardiovascular forms of exercise to complement my yoga practice.


Running? Ummm...I despise running. Besides, it can't be good for the knees, now can it?
Cycling? Ehhhh....not my cup of tea. Phobia of thunder thighs!
Tennis? The more I play the worse I get.
Volleyball? A friend once told me that volleyball players' radius when put under x-ray reveals a web of hairline fractures!


I was never really a big fan of swimming. Firstly because I had always thought it a hassle to change into my swimsuit, get wet and then having to take a shower immediately. Secondly, if I remembered clearly from observing the swimmers during school days, the chlorine in pools was potent enough to turn your hair mossy green!


Even when I moved into my apartment more than 2 years ago, I had never been tempted to take a dip in the pool despite the alluring charm of its surrounding landscape. Only recently did I begin to appreciate the benefits of this enchanted element - WATER.


Besides the apparent physical benefits (low impact workout, increases flexibility, improves alignment, develops better lung capacity etc...) merely submerging myself in the weightless abyss brings about a comforting sense of calm and serenity. In fact the state of mind during swimming is similar to that of when moving through asanas. The integration of breath and movement, the single pointedness of concentration and the inward drawing of awareness.


These days, I just cannot wait to sneak off for my therapeutic rendezvous with the pool...





Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

testtest

October 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home