Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Delightful Dharamsala

At the mere mention of 'India' these are the first words that flash across one's mind - Spices! Curry! Taj Mahal! Ghandi! Bollywood! Rarely is India labeled a sanctuary, a refuge, a saviour, precisely what she has been, to a nation that never ceased to intrigue people from all around the world - TIBET.


Dharamsala was not part of the initial plan for my route through India. But as if a blessing in disguise, unfavourable weather conditions forced me to abort my trekking trip to the beautiful Valley of Flowers, an area which has recorded over 500 species of floral splendour. A few days earlier, Mägie, my Swiss friend had raved endlessly about Dharamsala. Aaron, the chatty vegetarian chef from England shared the same sentiments, along with Elisheva, the bubbly American Isreali, Takako, the Japanese expatriat, and the list of international fans goes on. That night I dreamed I was a Tibetan nomad riding freely through the vast dry plains of my mystical country.


I found myself for the next 8 days magnetically drawn to Mcleod Ganj, a suburb of Dharamsala which had officially become home to the exiled Tibetan government and thousands of refugees for the past five decades. It was a struggle to suppress my high expectations of this popular destination but the minute I stepped out of the bus, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. That was the moment I fell in love with the little town of Mcleod Ganj and its Tibetan residents.






I was lucky enough to capture this on my camera - a spectacular 15 minute lightning show that graced the skies on the night of my arrival.






Every morning I was greeted by the cool fresh air and magnificent views of the surrounding mountains. First class pampering for the senses.





Mcleod Ganj boasts a smorgasbord of activities. So much to do in so little time!!! Pamper yourself with a Tibetan massage, challenge your limbs to a Yoga class, discover your healing powers by taking up a Reiki course, recreate tibetan delicacies at home by signing up for a cooking class, commit a good deed by volunteering at a tibetan refugee center, go bonkers shopping for cyrstals, thangkas and singing bowls, be shocked listening to ex-political prisoners retell their tale of escape and survival, release that little adventurer in you by exploring the nearby waterfalls and pine forests, be mesmerized by the animated stomping and clapping of tibetan monks debating away over spiritual teachings, and much more...



Simple, hearty, rustic and delicious tibetan cuisine can easily be found at every corner of the street. Tibetan food all the way for me...keep the momos coming!!!


Dharamsala is undoubtedly my favourite place in India. If one had not known better, this colourful display of life seems to reflect joy, happiness and prosperity of its people. However, there lies a deeper and darker truth to what lurks beneath this facade. A past of tragedy, a present of growing awareness, and a future that relies on the compassionate nature within all of us.




....TO BE CONTINUED...



Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger minchow said...

How do you pronounce Mcleod Ganj? I find the part Anglo part Indian configuration fascinating! On another note, and to shamelessly pimp my blog, here you go: http://aftergiovanni.blogspot.com/2009/09/happiness-is-state-of-mind-or-really.html

September 9, 2009 at 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home