Thursday, September 3, 2009

Neti Pots, Rubber Catheters & Saline Pints

The journey to India was sparked by the curious notion of what a 'YOGA HOLIDAY' experience would reveal. And what more at an ashram strategically nestled in the mysterious Himalayas, right by the banks of the great River Ganga! And did my eyes not fail me?....for under RM50 per night inclusive of meals, accommodation, yoga and lectures?!!! Yo! I'm sold...India, here I come!


A 5 hour train ride and an 8 hour bus ride later, I finally arrive at the gates of the highly acclaimed Sivananda Kutir Ashram in Uttarkashi, my home in India for the next 10 days. I was relieved to be able to settle down comfortably at last after the nail-biting journey, many times just narrowly avoiding knocking the oncoming vehicle off into the steep ravine. 




Brushing off those unpleasant episodes, I must say that the view up the mountains was breathtakingly beautiful and the cool breeze much appreciated after the suffocating heat of Delhi. It was also during our lunch stop that I amusingly took a bite into my first 3D samosa.









The re-heated frozen 2D version we         The newly discovered freshly-made
get at home                                         3D version available only in INDIA!


All in a day's life at the ashram:
05:30am: Morning Call
06:00am: Satsang (Meditation, Chanting)
07:30am: Tea Time
08:00am: Yoga Class
10:00am: Vegetarian Brunch
11:30pm: Karma Yoga (Selfless Service)
02:00pm: Lecture & Meditation
03:30pm: Tea Time
04:00pm: Yoga Class
06:00pm: Vegetarian Dinner
08:00pm: Satsang (Meditation, Chanting)
10:00pm: Lights Out


 
Meal times at the ashram are observed in silence



 
The gushing Ganga right outside my dorm


We had the tastiest and healthiest food at the ashram with varieties ranging from plain rice, chapati, spiced papadoms, dhal and coconut chutney to different types of boiled grains and sweet banana custard topped with fragrant mango and pomegranate seeds.
Yoga classes twice a day complemented by only two vegetarian meals a day were working well for my much needed health regime. The last 2 months of almost daily indulgence in beer and wine left me with a newly developed paunch which I had been desperately trying to hide behind loose and dark clothing...not very sexy, unfortunately. Hence the strict ashram rule of NO ALCOHOL coupled with the lack of accessibility to a watering hole doused the flame of my inner cravings. (Of course being away from my enabler, back home, helped substantially. And whom I later found out also fared very well herself without me!)


Apart from the yoga asanas (postures) that we are accustomed to, yoga practices do also involve cleansing of the internal organs. Personally, I had only performed the Kapalabathi (forceful breathing process to cleanse the brain and lungs) and Tatrak (eye cleansing process where one stares as long as he/she can into the candle flame without blinking). We were introduced to 3 other Kriya (cleansing) methods that initially made us cringe. But after successfully attemtping all the three methods, I realized that excretion of mucous could never have been done so creatively or felt so refreshingly rejuvenating! Girls and boys, only attempt this on an empty stomach.




Yogic Kriyas 101                    



1) Jala Neti Kriya (performed by Miguel)

The saline solution is poured into one nostril via a neti pot and comes out through the other nostril. This is repeated for the other nostril. This helps cleanse the nasal cavaties of any impurities from pollution.

Personal Note:
At first I thought that this would have a stinging sensation but it was pleasantly soothing. The key is in the saline solution mixture (adequate salt added and temperature lukewarm). It is also important that the nostril where the solution is supposed to come out from should always be positioned forward and below the throat to prevent fluid backflow.

                                          

2) Sutra Neti Kriya (performed by Takako)
A rubber catheter measuring about 18" long and 3mm thick is slowly inserted up one nostril until it appears at the back of the throat. The catheter is brought out of the mouth with two fingers and moved back and forth 10 to 15 times. The same is repeated for the other nostril.
Personal Note:
This was the toughest kriya but still easier that it looked. When I first attempted this, I had a strong urge to sneeze. But after taking long and slow breaths, the sensation ceased. There was also a gagging sensation when the catheter came down the throat, but nothing too much to handle. Note that it is easier to use the index and middle fingers (rather than the thumb and index) to pinch the catheter back out of the mouth.





3) Jala Vaman Dhauti Kriya (performed by Takako)
2 to 3 pints of the same saline solution is quickly consumed until the stomach feels full or until there is an urge to throw up. Once the feeling is attained, the throat is tickled by the tips of two fingers to induce vomiting. With this, the solution and other accumulated waste from the stomach will gush out like a waterfall.

Personal Note: 
For me, this was the easiest to master (attributable to my pint-drinking days. I am also referring to the drinking and not the vomiting part. Why? Because I can handle my alcohol and I am not bulimic). To be performed not more than once a month. 


Now it's time for breakfast =)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger minchow said...

Your enabler sounds like a TYRANT! Boo, hiss! More power to saline binge!

September 3, 2009 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger meishean said...

I like the looks of those huge 3d samosas, they look almost alive. Awesome! And pray tell, whom might this enabler be. Personally I think she's still secretly drinking by the bottles.

September 4, 2009 at 7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wanna do the nose with water and vomit thing...looks fun yet not morally compromising/disgusting when it's categorize under yoga cleansing. hehehe.

lets do it!
foo

October 21, 2009 at 9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home